How To Bleach Bathe Extensions To Revive Old Hair
Posted on March 05 2019
If you are anything like me, you have not perfected the art of storing your hair extensions and wigs. I try to always place my wigs on a Styrofoam head, but sometimes I must admit I get a bit lazy. I keep my hair stored in ziplock bags in a large plastic bin. Not the greatest system!
Later on when I reach for hair I’ve worn in the past and pull it out, it is tangled, a bit matted and basically kind of old looking. Sound familiar? Well do not throw that hair away, there is a way to revive it close to its original state! Giving your hair extensions or wigs a bleach bath will immediately give it new life, melting the tangles away, smoothing and giving renewed shine.
When hair is tangled, it is usually because of mis-aligned or rough cuticles. Essentially the bleach bath works by actually melting the top cuticle layer off thereby reducing tangles. This technique will of course not be necessary for good quality hair extensions but works well to give lesser quality extensions a new lease of life.
Before you start gather the following supplies:
- Two Basins
- Wide Tooth Comb
- Zip lock bag
- Work in a well ventilated area and wear gloves to protect your skin and nails.
- Fill a basin with one gallon of very hot water (not quite boiling but definitely hot) with ¼ cup of bleach (any brand).
- Totally submerge your hair for two to three minutes, any longer and your hair color will lift. You will see small bubbles begin to form which means that the process is working.
- With your wide tooth comb, comb the hair downward gently while submerged to aid in smoothing. You probably want to use a comb specifically for bleach bathing.
- Remove hair from bleach mixture and submerge in a basin filled with lukewarm water and the shampoo of your choice. Lift in and out for about three minutes, combing gently while submerged. Run the soapy water through the hair with your fingers to clean more thoroughly.
- In a separate basin mix ¼ cup ammonia with ¾ cup warm water. Dip hair and shake gently for a second before lifting, do this twice.
- Repeat step 5. Swirl and shake gently while in the shampoo bowl, there is no need to comb any more at this point.
- Apply conditioner to the hair, place in a microwaveable plastic bag and warm for about twenty seconds. The hair will be very warm upon removal so be careful! Alternatively you can seal the bag and just allow the hair to sit in the conditioner for a few hours.
- Rinse the conditioner from the hair thoroughly. This can be done directly under running water rather than using a basin for faster and more thorough rinsing.
Hang the hair using clothespins and hangers and allow it to air dry. You should see a huge difference in the smoothness, shine and manageability of your hair. You can do this with any quality of hair but virgin hair responds best. However the beauty of investing in quality hair extensions is that rarely will the need even arise to do a bleach bath. Good luck!