How to Clean Remy Hair Extensions
Posted on February 26 2019
Due to the popularity and range of quality of Remy hair extensions it is important to know how to take care of the hair properly to ensure that the hair lasts during use. With proper care remy hair extensions can last for up to a year keeping the quality intact.
Because extensions do not receive natural oils from your scalp as your natural hair would the hair is more prone to dryness. It is recommended that the hair should be washed and conditioned every 3-4 days.
A boar bristle brush
A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner
How to clean the extensions
- Remove all tangles from the hair using the brush starting from the ends and working your way to the top of the hair. Use extra care in order to reduce snagging and pulling the hair
- Spritz the hair with water and apply a little conditioner to the hair prior to shampooing. This helps with adding or maintaining moisture
- Without rinsing out the conditioner apply shampoo to the hair and wash carefully without rubbing or piling the hair on top of your head
- Rinse the hair thoroughly
- Condition the hair leaving it in for the recommended time and rinse throughly
- Wrap hair in a towel or t-shirt to remove excess water, gently dabbing the hair but not rubbing.
- Air dry & style as usual
Remy hair can be ‘deep conditioned’ if it feels dry. Here’s how:
- Apply a moisturizing conditioner to the hair
- Wrap the hair in a moist warm towel
- Leave the hair wrapped for 20-30 minutes
- Air dry
Cleaning Remy Hair after Swimming
Swimming is generally harmful to remy hair because due to the chlorine from the pool or the salt from sea water. Depending of the degree of processing that your remy hair has undergone before it get’s to you, it may be necessary to avoid getting your hair wet when swimming altogether.
If you are an avid swimmer it would help to find out from your beautician about the best quality of the hair tol fit your lifestyle. You will find that virgin hair is more resilient than processed curls or textures. Below are a few tips that can be used when cleaning remy hair after swimming:
A high moisturizing conditioner
A hair wrap
The Cleaning Process:
- Apply a bit of conditioner or coating oil like olive oil before swimming to prevent some of the harmful effects of chlorine or salt.
- Extensions should always be cleaned immediately after swimming so shampooing after each session is a must
- Follow the same wash instructions above to thoroughly clean the hair
- Follow the deep conditioning regimen above if the hair feels extra dry
- Allow the hair to air dry and style as usual
How do you preserve the quality of your Remy Hair extensions generally or when swimming?