How to Prevent your Remy Hair Extensions From Getting Frizzy
Posted on February 28 2019
Humidity is a nightmare for many women and, most of the times, equals frizz. Even ladies that wear Remy hair extensions can experience untamed frizzy locks when the air is dripping and nine times out of ten, it is because their extensions need something more than they give them. The truth is, virgin hair needs to be properly taken care of to maintain its perfect, voluminous looks. And, you know the best part of it all? It only takes a few minutes every day to achieve that! Plus, you will just need a few products that chances are you are already using!
What does your hair want to tell you when it gets frizzy?
“I need more moisture!”
In fact, your frizzy hair is literally begging for some extra hydration. How does frizz happen? The hair is porous, and when it gets dry, the shaft swells because it sucks up moisture in the air. A good dose of conditioner (a leave-in is even better) to coat the shaft will do wonders as it will help you shield the hair, making it more difficult for moisture to sink in. However, be careful not to apply conditioner on the bonds (where your natural hair and your Indian hair extensions are bonded) or you will loosen them and cause slippage.
Also know that your Remy hair extensions, unlike your natural hair, cannot be supplied with the natural oils from your scalp, which makes them more vulnerable to becoming frizzy and dry. If you have reached the point when your extensions are dried out, here is how to restore their original shine and beauty!
That said, heat can also make your hair (natural and extensions) look frayed and frizzy. Besides the leave-in conditioner, you can also use a moisture-enriching shampoo rather than a clarifying one to provide your tresses with the required moisture even during the washing phase. The secret, though, is in rinsing. It should be done with as cold water as you can tolerate so that the cuticles close and lock in moisture. The result? Shiny, perfectly hydrated hair.
- Make sure you rinse the hair for at least 3 minutes both before and after applying conditioner.
- For some extra TLC, you can moisten your finger with a small amount of conditioner and run them through the hair. This is definitely smooth the frizz. Or you could use one of these DIY hair masks that work miracles!
Additional tips to avoid frizz:
1. Always air dry your hair (here’s how to air dry your hair extensions the right way!) or at least as many times as possible. A blow dryer can damage your ends and cause more frizz. However, if you need to blow dry your hair, do so when the hair is almost dry and only for a couple of minutes.
2. Avoid shampoos that contain alcohol as it dries the hair.
3. Never try to stretch or pull the hair when it is wet and always comb with a wide-toothed comb and not a brush.
4. Don’t forget to wash your hair extensions because you allow product buildup, which encourages frizz. A weekly wash with a mild shampoo will keep your virgin Indian Remy hair in mint condition! For the must-have products if you wear extensions to make sure they look lavishing each time you wear them, check out our blog!
5. Apply an anti-frizz serum occasionally but not every single day to avoid buildup in the extensions